shmodeling

shmodeling

About Me

My photo
i was born in 1986, im a very easy going guy, i love sports, i love music, i love singing, like being there for people, i wanna make a difference even if its tiny.

Friday 23 September 2011

What You have missed...

Now that I have got the dramatic life story bull out the way, I can get into why I am really putting time into writting a blog.

As I mentioned with my previous post, I have began a journey in Triathlon. Where I want to go with this blog is take you through a step by step walk through in the life of a triathlete. What I go through emotionally, my progress, the goals I set and achieve, ill take you through each rae report so you can understand how bitterly sweet triathlon really is. Triathlon to me is more than just a sport, but its a test of mental and physical strength. It will break you if you not ready or unprepared, but it will make you a hero if you plan, prepare and race smart. I want you to feel the emotions it brings into my life, because up until now... nothing has compared to triathlon in my life.

So, what you have missed up until present day is a hell of a lot. But in brief to catch up quickly ill fill you in on the important stuff.

I started Triathlon early this year, purely because I was going through a stage in life where I needed something. I begged my Dad to buy me a bike that I would pay off. I had seen a Eastern Provincial race right on my door step and from that day I knew that it was what I wanted to do. And I was right, the first Triathlon I ever did, i managed to almost drown myself in the sea swim but gethered myself on the bike, and kept a nice pace on the bike. I ended up with a 27th overall and at the second I crossed the finish line I knew in my head that I had what it took to be a triathlete.

Unfortunately I had joined the sport a little late and I missed triathlon season. So I filled into Duathlon season, which is a run-bike-run race. I landed up getting into the Provincial side and went to the South African champs earlier this year. I placed 11th, and I was chuffed with myself... Another step in the right direction. Up until here I had always had the swim in the back of my mind. I knew I had been a good swimmer at school but the sea swim I had done for the corporate ironman (1st tri ever) had left a bad memory that haunted me... So i started putting long sessions into the pool. For those of you who have swam lanes in a pool will know how boring it can get and how lost you can get in your own head, you end up loosing count of laps and just burning frustration inside urself. All in preporation for the end goals, well thats what I keep telling myself... "Let it try break you now, then if any negative emotions try your headstrong levels during a race, you`re ready."

Its been months of hard training, early hours of waking up in cold winter mornings, injuries and breakdowns. Thanks to my family though they are there to support me and get me back up and into a positive mind set. They make you realise why you love the sport.

Recently i have stepped it up a gear, ive bought myself a top of the range wetsuit, and been hitting the open water and must say I have certainly got a hell of a lot better than when i first ventured out into the open water.

Two weeks ago I entered into my first olympic distance triathlon. I came out 4th in the swim, went into 2nd on the bike, but blew my legs mid race and got myself back into 4th. I lost another position in the run, but thats where I would finish, 5th for my first official olympic distance triathlon. That weekend I proved to myself that I could compete against the best. I proved that I was setting my goals accurately and I proved that all I believed in over the months was worth it. A week and a half later (on Wednesday) I called up a local coach Roger Oakley, who will now be my coach. So far we have done two time trials so he can see where I am at and the base with which he has to work... As far as I can tell he is impressed. And so am I... Today we sat down after my swim time trial and we spoke about goals and where we could possibly go with this.

So here it is in writting, goal number 1, place in the top 5 for ironman 70.3 South Africa and goal number 2, Podium in Olympic distance South African champs Triathlon.

I invite you to follow me on this journey, I would love the support and encouragement.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment